16 distinct natural communities create the mosaic that is Jonathan Dickinson, the largest state park in Southeast Florida. The park includes the Elsa Kimbell Environmental Education and Research Center
- Size: 10,500 acres
- Location: 16450 SE Federal Hwy, Hobe Sound, FL 33455
- Phone: 772-546-2771
- Driving: 109 miles from Vineland Elem.. On a Friday at 5pm that’s usually 2h-3h.
- Reservations: Via ReserveAmerica.com
Rare environments such as coastal sand hills, upland lakes, and scrub forests as well as the pristine Loxahatchee River make this park a unique spot to explore by foot or water. Historical interests include a secret WWII training camp, story of the shipwrecked Quaker merchant who is the park’s namesake, and Trapper Nelson, the legendary Wild Man of the Loxahatchee.
The park was named for a Quaker merchant whose vessel shipwrecked nearby in 1696. During World War II, the land the park now occupies was home to Camp Murphy, a top-secret radar training school with over 6,600 men. The land became a state park in 1950. Camp Murphy also included the land occupied by the Tanah Keeta Scout Reservation.
The FLORIDA TRAIL: The Ocean to Lake Trail links together a number of shorter trails that have been existence for years through Palm Beach and Martin Counties at Jonathan Dickinson State Park, Corbett Wildlife Management Area, and DuPuis Reserve. You can enjoy any of these trails as a backpacking trip or series of day hikes. After ten years of work, the Ocean to Lake Trail is finally open to the public in its entirety; here are the details.
TROOP 941 notes – This park is consistently one of 941’s most favorite camps for the quality of the camp sites, proximity to canoeing and kayaking, and relatively short drive from Miami. The terrain is good for hiking and camping badges. Unfortunately it has no pool or swimming area.
Common wildlife: Deer; heron; pileated woodpecker; cardinals; raccoon; alligator.
- Grocery store: Publix Super Market at County Line Plaza, 500 US-1, Tequesta, FL (5 min. drive)
- Hospital: Jupiter Medical Center, 1210 S. Old Dixie Hwy, Jupiter FL
- Beach: Jupiter Beach Park, or Hobe Sound Beach Park (9 min drive).
- Public Pool: North County Aquatic Complex, 861 Toney Penna Dr, Jupiter, FL (14 min drive). Tel. (561) 745-0241
- Florida Hikes! Info on Florida Trail “Ocean to Lake Okeechobee” section.
- South Florida Water Management District gauge for Loxahatchee River at Kitchings Creek, Jupiter Fla.
- National Weather Service observations for Loxahatchee River above Jupiter.
- Download a park map for Jonathan Dickinson State Park (PDF)