I have used this recipe while camping with Troop 941 since my earliest days in Cub Scouts.. Boys Life Magazine has updated it, and that’s below. – Robertson Adams
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- 1 large can refrigerated buttermilk biscuits. Pillsbury Grands! Homestyle Buttermilk Biscuits or the equivalent work well. Avoid using “flaky” type biscuits.
- Vegetable oil
- Frying pan or Dutch oven
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup confectioners or powdered sugar
- 2 lunch-size brown paper bags
SAFETY FIRST! Hot oil can splatter, burn or catch fire, so please ask an adult for help before trying this recipe.
- Separate the refrigerated biscuits.
- Use a knife to cut a hole in each biscuit. You can also use the cap from the vegetable oil for perfect circles.
- Heat about 2 inches of vegetable oil in a frying pan or Dutch oven and add as many biscuits as will fit. The hot oil can splatter, so be very careful!
- Fry the biscuits for a few minutes, flipping them over with a fork or tongs when they are golden brown.
- When the doughnuts are done, remove them from the pan and put them on a paper towel to soak up excess oil.
- For cinnamon-covered doughnuts, combine the sugar and cinnamon in a paper bag. Add the doughnuts and shake well until the doughnuts are covered.
- For powdered sugar doughnuts, put the confectioners sugar in a paper bag. Add the doughnuts and shake well until the doughnuts are covered. This works best if the doughnuts are still warm.
- Remove doughnuts from bags and enjoy.
- Don’t forget to cook the doughnut holes, too.